French (63%) and German (47%) visitors are the most likely to be interested in Indigenous tourism experiences. One in three international visitors to Canada is interested in Indigenous tourism experiences (37%).
Destination Canada, 2019 Market Snapshots
ORIGIN OF TOURISTS
- 64% from Québec
- 15% from France
- 9% from Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, United Kingdom)
- 8% from other countries (United States, China, Brazil)
INDIGENOUS TOURISM IN NUMBERS
- 4083 jobs created in Québec
- 394 000 $ is the average turnover of businesses
- 169 M$ in economic impact
- A significant increase in the number of businesses (103 in 2003, 154 in 2011, 223 in 2016)
INDIGENOUS TOURISM: A RECOGNIZED EXPERIENCE
- Key strategy of the Ministry of Tourism
- Indigenous traditions: 1 of 14 distinctive experiences of the Alliance de l’industrie touristique du Québec
- Priority of Destination Canada
- Indigenous Quebec is a leader of Indigenous tourism in Canada
- Indigenous tourism contributes significantly to the development of innovative offers, the creation of jobs and wealth, the consolidation of businesses and the development of all regions of the province.
FIND OUT MORE
Projet de recherche national sur le tourisme autochtone : Retombées économiques du tourisme autochtone au Canada
Association touristique autochtone du Canada, 2015
Impacts économiques et perspectives
Le secteur touristique autochtone du Canada : Perspectives et impacts économiques
Conference Board du Canada et Association touristique autochtone du Canada, 2019
Aperçu des marchés en 2019 : Saisir le potentiel du tourisme autochtone au Canada
Destination Canada et Association touristique autochtone du Canda, 2019
The Tourism Ecosystem
Quebec Indigenous Tourism, 2019
The Tourism Ecosystem
Alliance de l’industrie touristique du Québec : The Right Player.
A destination marketing organization bringing together stakeholders from the tourism industry to combine expertise and develop innovative ideas. The unified voice of Quebec tourism, working to increase revenues from the economic sector as well as create and maintain tourism jobs across Quebec.
The official tourism website of the Government of Quebec is full of useful information and the Studies and Statistics section allows you to download many publications related to the tourism and leisure industry.
Destination Canada provides intelligence, tools and resources that help the Canadian tourism industry reach international markets.
Association touristique autochtone du Canada
The Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) focuses on creating partnerships between associations, organizations, government departments and industry leaders from across Canada to support the growth of Indigenous tourism in Canada and address the demand for development and marketing of authentic Indigenous experiences. ITAC has an established membership process that enables Indigenous tourism industry partners to engage with and show support for Indigenous tourism.